Way back when this site first came up, we did a review of a game called Defense Gride: The Awakening. This was my first exposure to the tower defense genre, and it was awesome! And I’m excited to see another one coming out as an Xbox LIVE Arcade title: Invasion Defender.
As far as we can tell, this follows the classic tower defense formula, with two additional elements to give the game a bit more of a challenge. First of all, the enemies attack back, forcing you to monitor all of your units constantly and places an even greater importance in the placement of your defense units. The second feature is the addition of intelligent AI who will assess the situation and find the safest route from A to B, forcing the player to strategize even more.
Judging from the screenshots, it looks like the game is set on Earth, or Earth-like planet, with semi-current weapons. No hordes of aliens this time around. And it might be just me, but it seems like the graphics aren’t as detailed and sweet as they could be. These screenshots look like they are from a really detailed handheld rather than a console game. But then again, tower defense games are all about the strategizing. I’m definitely looking forward to playing this.
Invasion Defender is now available on Xbox LIVE.
• Battle your way through over 50 waves of enemies in 3 unique locations as you fight to prevent the invasion force from taking over.
• Bolster your defenses using a range of upgradable turrets and walls.
• Intelligent AI will find not only the quickest but also the safest route through your defenses making strategy even more important.
• The enemies fight back adding another element of difficulty as you fight to keep the lines secure.
• Gain “Lifetime Score” to unlock new locations and weapons, including the devastating tactical nuke super weapon.
• 36 special medals to be achieved for completing various challenges.
• Hardcore mode for an extra tough challenge.