It’s finally arrived. The follow-up to one of my favorite fighting games of all time: Super Street Fighter IV. I am very, very excited about this. I mean, there’s not much more I need to really say, except, “Go get it!” But I should also give kudos to Capcom for really pushing the envelope in attmepting to distinguish this game from its predecessor. The only complaint I have is the apparent lack of ability to play against players that own SFIV. I understand that the game mechanics itself, such as new Ultra Combos, is different, but I think it would have been awesome to be able to play friends that weren’t fully convinced to purchase SSFIV. However, with a starting purchase price of $39.99, along with the features listed below, I think Capcom will do just fine.
- Enhanced online play featuring new modes:
- Team Battles: Up to eight players can participate in 2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3, or 4 vs. 4 team elimination battles.
- Endless Battle: Up to eight players can participate in an endless elimination online match where the winner stays on and plays against the next player in true arcade fashion. Spectators can also chat with each other as they watch the match.
- Replay Channel: Players can view recorded matches and discuss the match while watching replays of great matches from players around the world.
- Tournament Mode: Available later this year as free DLC, compete online with the top players from around the world to fight for control of championship titles that prove you’re the best in the world.
- More classic Street Fighter characters re-imagined for a new generation of gamers, including favorites DeeJay, T. Hawk, Guy, Cody, Adon, Ibuki, Makoto and Dudley.
- New challengers: mysterious female Juri is the first character in Street Fighter history to utilize the Tae Kwon Do style.
- Bonus Stages: Return of the classic car and barrel bonus stages made popular in Street Fighter II both available in arcade and challenge modes:
- Car stage: Annihilate the car with regular and special moves before the time runs out.
- Barrel stage: Players are given 20 barrels and must destroy as many as they can within the time limit.
- All playable SFIV characters will be unlocked out of the box.
- Gameplay has been rebalanced to provide challenges for both newcomers as well as the most seasoned Street Fighter pro.
- Traditional “2D” Street Fighter six-button gameplay.